Monday, April 6, 2020

Surah Al-Hadid 57:22 - 23


22. No disaster strikes upon the earth or among yourselves except that it is in a register before We bring it into being - indeed that, for Allah, is easy -

23. In order that you not despair over what has eluded you and not exult [in pride] over what He has given you. And Allah does not like everyone self-deluded and boastful -

I stumbled upon these verses in Quran today. Maybe I've mentioned before that I'll try my best to recite at least two pages of Quran with the translations daily. And if I felt that I'm drawn to the verses, I would highlight them. Today, I actually reciting Surah Al-Imran. After finishing, I composed a question in my mind. The question is actually regarding whether I would find my jodoh in this life. And then, I want to randomly opened the Quran and it opened to the page containing these verses (which are already highlighted from my previous recitation).

I, sometimes do this thing. Asking random questions and opening the Quran to get answers. There is a saying that when you want to talk to Allah, you should perform solah  and recite dua and when you want Allah to talk to you, you should read the Quran. Amazingly, each times I did this, I always get the sentences that relevant to my questions. I know that I should not simply made conclusions based solely on my interpretations on them without the basic and knowledge of Quran's translation. It is even dangerous and sinful if I interpreted them wrongly. So, I usually compared them to scholarly detailed explanations and interpretations.

Okay, back to these verses from Surah Al-Hadid. Hadid means Iron. Reading the translations, I couldn't help to relate them with the pandemic we are currently facing, COVID-19. Allah says in Verse 22, 'No disaster strikes upon the earth or among yourselves except that it is in a register before We bring it into being - indeed that, for Allah, is easy -' In Quran, Allah sometimes refer to Himself as We. We know that Allah is the ONLY ONE and TRUE GOD. So, why WE (plural)? This is a style of Arabic speech. It is a feature of literary style in Arabic that a person may refer to himself by the pronoun nahnu (we) for respect or glorification. He may also use the word ana (I), indicating one person, or the third person huwa (he). All three styles are used in the Quran, where Allah addresses the Arabs in their own tongue.

During the revelation this Surah, Muslims were facing attacks from the enemy, battles in quick succession, a state of constant siege, hardships caused by economic boycott by the disbelievers, persecution of the converts to Islam everywhere in Arabia. The disbelievers looked upon these as a proof of the Muslims having been forsaken and rejected, and the hypocrites took these as a confirmation of their own suspicions and doubts. As for the sincere Muslims, they were facing these bravely and resolutely, yet the excess of hardship and suffering would sometimes become trying even for them. So, the Muslims are being consoled by Verse 22. Whatever they are experiencing is according to the pre-ordained scheme of Allah and already recorded in the writ of destiny.

Right now, we are also in a stressful and trouble situation. Evethough, things seem tough and bleak, we must never lose hope. Everything happened for a reason. Allah knows best! For indeed, with hardship [will be] ease. Indeed, with hardship [will be] ease (Quran 94: 5 -6) May us face this difficult time together with patiently and strongly. Allah is always there with us. Never forget to pray to Allah. And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided (Quran 2:186)

No comments:

Post a Comment